Well it’s now February, and although it’s still a bit nippy outside; spring is certainly not that far around the corner. So what a better way to spend lockdown than baking a cake on a chilly February Winter’s day.
Today I thought I would share my Apple & Cinnamon Recipe with you all, as I posted a sneak peek of it on my Instagram stories and I had a lot of messages asking for the Recipe.
This is such a nice and easy bake, filled with a combination of warming cinnamon and sweet crunchy apple and it tastes absolutely amazing served with some hot custard too!
So without further ado here is the Recipe.
- 115g Unsalted Butter & some for greasing
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 2tsp Cinnamon
- 115g Light Brown Sugar and some for sprinkling
- 1 Large Egg
- 6-8tbsp Milk
- 225g Granny Smith Apples
- Large Bowl
- Tall Non Stick Spring form 9” Cake Tin
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease your cake tin with some unsalted butter and then leave to one side.
2. Peel your Granny Smith Apples, remove the core and chop into chunks making sure you have 225g worth and then leave in a bowl to one side.
3. Mix the self raising flour and cinnamon in a big mixing bowl. Add the unsalted butter and rub it into the flour mixture using your fingers, until it resembles a fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the light brown sugar and then beat in the egg followed by 6-8tbsp of milk. Add the milk gradually until you have a smooth, thick batter.
5. Now add the apples that you left to one side to the bowl and mix to combine.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake tin and then level out with a spatula and then sprinkle on some light brown sugar on top of the cake.
7. Place into oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake to test whether or not, if it’s baked. (Top Tip: If it comes out clean, it’s done!)
8. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, and then turn our onto a wire rack to cool further. Serve the cake with some hot custard and enjoy!
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe, and I would love see yours! Tag me on Instagram @thecountrysidemama
See you soon!